Chief Master Sergeant Michael Cole is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 628th Air Base Wing, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina. He is the principal advisor to the Commander on all matters of morale, welfare, readiness, professional development, and operational utilization of the enlisted force. As host to over 60 DoD and Federal agencies, the Wing provides installation support to a total force of over 90,000 Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Coast Guardsmen, civilians, dependents, and retirees while managing $7.5 billion in base property and capital assets with an annual budget exceeding $172 million. Additionally, the Wing provides mission-ready expeditionary Airmen to Combatant Commanders in support of Joint and Combined operations worldwide.
Chief Cole entered the Air Force as an Aircraft Maintenance Apprentice in May of 1991. He has held several positions in the aircraft maintenance career field, in addition to serving as a First Sergeant.
Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 15th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii.
1995 Airman Leadership School, Hurlburt Field, Florida
2004 Air Force Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Keesler AFB, Mississippi
2006 Associate Degree in Aircraft Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2007 Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Course, Gunter Annex, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2008 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course, National Defense University, D.C.
2009 Associate Degree in Human Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force
2010 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2010 Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell Gunter Annex, Alabama
2013 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Seminar, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia
2016 Bachelors Degree in Human Resource Management, Park University, Missouri
2016 Air Force Command Chief Training Course, Randolph AFB, Texas
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina
2019 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2019 Masters Degree in Talent Development and Training, Troy University, Alabama
1. May 1991 - July 1991, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. Jul 1991 - Oct 1991, Aircraft Maintenance Technician Training Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. Oct 1991 - Aug 1998, MC-130H Flying Crew Chief, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. Aug 1998 - Jun 2004, C-130 Flying Crew Chief, 37th Airlift Squadron, C-20 and C-21 Lead Quality
Assurance Evaluator, 76th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
5. Jun 2004 - May 2007, C-130 Isochronal Inspection Section Chief and Contract Field Team Project Officer,
314th Maintenance Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. May 2007 - Feb 2010, First Sergeant, 463d Maintenance Operations Squadron, 41st Airlift Squadron, 19th
Civil Engineering Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
(Aug 2007 - Dec 2007, First Sergeant, 777th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Balad AB, Iraq)
Feb 2009 - Jun 2009, First Sergeant, 451st Air Expeditionary Group, Kandahar AB, Afghanistan)
7. Feb 2010 - Oct 2011, First Sergeant, 1st Airlift Squadron, 89th Communications Squadron, Joint Base
8. Oct 2011 - Jul 2012, Maintenance Superintendent, 89th Maintenance Group, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
9. Jul 2012 - May 2013, Maintenance Superintendent, 723d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 71st Aircraft
Maintenance Unit, Moody AFB, Ga.
10. May 2013 - Aug 2014, Superintendent, 723d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, 41st Helicopter
Maintenance Unit, Moody AFB, GA (Jan 2014 – June 2014, Superintendent, 41st HMU,
455th Expeditionary Maintenance Group, Bagram AB, Afghanistan).
11. Aug 2014 - Jan 2015, Superintendent, 723d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
12. Jan 2015 - Aug 2015, Superintendent, 82d Reconnaissance Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
13. Aug 2015 - Jun 2017: Superintendent, 353d Special Operations Maintenance Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
(Jun 2016 – Sep 2016, Interim Command Chief, 353d Special Operations Group)
14. Jun 2017 - Nov 2018, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 15th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam,
15. Nov 2018 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 628th Air Base Wing, Joint Base Charleston,
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Iraq Campaign Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one bronze star Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
NATO Medal with one bronze star
1991 Honor Graduate, Air Force Basic Military Training
1993 1st Special Operations Group Airman of the Quarter
2003 86th Maintenance Group NCO of the Year
2008 463d Operations Group First Sergeant of the Year
2009 Little Rock AFB First Sergeant of the Year
2010 89th Airlift Wing First Sergeant of the Year
2011 89th Air Support Group First Sergeant of the Year
2013 23d Wing Lance P. Sijan Award Winner
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant Sep 2014
(Current as of May 2019)