JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. –
The Weapons Station is currently undergoing two facilities changes: the renovation of building 302, which houses the Navy Personnel Support Detachment among other offices on Joint Base Charleston - Weapons Station, and the construction of a new lot for recreational vehicles.
The estimated completion date for the new RV lot is late August or early September but may be delayed due to weather. Meanwhile, the renovation on building 302 is scheduled to conclude in April of 2016, due to the extensive nature of the renovations, said Glenn Easterby, 628th Civil Engineer Squadron deputy base civil engineer.
While building 302 undergoes renovation, several offices within the building have moved, or are scheduled to move, to different locations on base.
"It's going to be somewhat disruptive at times, but we appreciate the cooperation of all the organizations affected by the changes and encourage everyone to keep in mind the end goal ... better mission facilities with less impact to our long term budget," said Easterby.
Renovations to building 302 include, "An additional 1,200 square feet, which adds restrooms, a stairwell and an elevator, as well as repairing electrical, air conditioning and other key components," said Lanette Cook, 628th CES project manager.
The building 302 renovations have displaced several offices ranging from education and human resources to inspector general and safety departments. Those offices have been, or will be, relocated to other facilities on base.
"We are doing the best we can to maximize the facilities we already have in place because renting additional temporary space takes away from project scope and amenities," said Easterby. "We appreciate the willingness and patience of all the organizations affected."
One of the first steps in the renovation process was moving the Weapons Station Pass and I.D office across the street to its brand new building.
That facility held a ribbon cutting Feb. 21, 2014, alleviating a steady flow of traffic into the building 302 parking lot.
Other offices that have been, or will be affected, by the construction and new locations for the offices are below:
· Navy College Office, relocated to Bldg. 909, 3111 W. Old Tom Rd., moved July 11, 2014.
· 437th Aerial Port Squadron and Personal Property/Household Goods Office Weapons Station, relocated to Bldg. 36, 1000 Quality Cir, moved July 25, 2014,
· Navy Reserve Officer Recruiter Station, relocated to Bldg. 36, 1000 Quality Cir., moved in April of this year.
· Navy Passenger Transportation Office/SATO, relocated to Bldg. 36, 1000 Quality Cir., moved July 25, 2014.
· Veterans Assistance Outreach Office Weapons Station, relocated to Bldg. 708, 1010 S. Jefferson Ave., moved in early May of this year.
· Personnel Support Activity Detachment (PSD) Weapons Station will relocate to Bldg 731, 871 W. Pulaski, and is expected to move Aug. 22, 2014.
Buildings 36 and 909 are located inside the Red Bank Road gate. Customers will need proper credentials to get to these buildings. Bldgs 731 and 708 are located outside the gate, in the Weapons Station's Westside area.
Units remaining in Building 302 during renovations:
· 628th Communication Squadron/SCOI Weapons Station, 2nd floor Bldg. 302
· Naval Sea Systems Command, 2nd floor Bldg. 302
· Naval Criminal Investigative Service, 2nd floor Bldg. 302
For more information on offices affected by the construction, call Alphaeus Whitfield, 628th Mission Support Squadron Personnel Officer at 794-7771 ext. 136.
The RV lot is also temporarily being moved while a new RV lot is under construction. For more information on the new RV lot or any RV lot questions, contact Gloria Markovci, 628th CES project manager, at 794-7726.