JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C –
Military Saves Week is Feb. 20 - 27.
"The Military Saves campaign is a total force, command-level program," said Joint Base Charleston Commander, Col. Martha Meeker. "It provides an opportunity for leaders at all levels within the active duty, National Guard, and Reserve ranks to educate and motivate troops and families to save their hard-earned money for emergencies and financial goals."
Military Saves Week is designed for the military community to work with appropriate federal, state and local resources, including military banks and defense credit unions on military installations, to educate military members on the importance of saving money.
"The average emergency costs $500," said Barbara Lang, Airmen and Fitness Readiness Center financial counselor. "If an individual would take a little time and effort to save at least that much, then they wouldn't have to rely on credit or loans to fund emergencies when they arise."
The personal financial readiness of service members and families directly supports mission readiness. JB CHS will celebrate this week with numerous events at both the Air Base and Naval Weapons Station. Some of the events include:
- Military Saves Proclamation signing and campaign kick-off will be at JB CHS - WS Galley, Feb. 22 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Financial trivia will be held at the Gaylor Dining Facility, Feb. 23 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., with the winner receiving a $250 cash prize.
- Financial fitness day will be at the AFRC, Feb. 23 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Couponers basic training classes will be held Feb. 22, 24 and 26 at the A&FRC, Call for times.
- Million Dollar Sailors Workshop is Feb. 23 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Rickover Center.
- Learn and Earn Carnival at JB CHAS - WS Child Development Center is Feb. 23 from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Menriv Soccer field.
For a full listing of Military Saves events contact the Airman & Family Readiness Center at 963-4406 or the Fleet & Family Support Center at 764-7480.