JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C., –
Did you know no matter how inactive you've been or how out of shape you are, people of all ages can benefit from physical activity? Since 1983, May has been observed as National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. Individuals and organizations everywhere have joined in the fun to promote awareness of the value of physical activity in the pursuit of happier, healthier, more productive lives.
Getting regular exercise increases your chances of living longer and can help you:
· Maintain a healthy weight
· Increase mood and energy levels
· Improve sleep
· Decrease risks of heart disease and diabetes
· Increase muscle mass
Getting exercise as part of a daily routine doesn't need to be expensive. It can take place anytime and the goal should be to incorporate movement throughout the entire day.
· Park farther away from your destinations
· Try to incorporate "desk-ercises" at work (simply moving throughout your workday)
· Walk during your lunch break
· Take the stairs instead of the elevator
· Find a workout partner
· Join an online walking program to keep you motivated:
· Participate in Joint Base Charleston May's Fitness Events to get started!
If you have any questions, or need help getting started, contact the JB CHS - Weapons Station Navy Health Promotion Clinic at 743-7311 or the JB CHS - Air Base Health and Wellness Center at 963-4007.
Have fun getting fit!