JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. –
All-Terrain Vehicles provide are a past time many people enjoy. However, they also present their own risks. The ATV Safety Institute promotes the following rules when operating an ATV:
- Always wear a Department of Transportation compliant helmet and goggles, long sleeves, long pants and over-the-ankle boots and gloves.
- Never ride on paved roads except when crossing them and only when it is safe to do so and permitted by law. ATVs are designed to be operated off-highway.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Never carry a passenger on a single-rider ATV and no more than one passenger on an ATV specifically designed for two people.
- Ride an ATV that is right for your age.
- Supervise riders younger than 16; ATVs are not toys.
- Ride only on designated trails and at a safe speed.