JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. , –
The Joint Base Charleston First 6 is a professional organization which focuses on providing junior enlisted service members a forum for making the most of their military careers. The organization extends the invitation to all service members in pay grades from E-1 through E-6 to join.
First 6 meetings, which include free food, are held the fourth Thursday of each month at 11 a.m. on the second floor of Bldg. 246 in the First Term Airmen Center classroom on Joint Base Charleston-Air Base.
The volunteer opportunities listed below are just a few of many the First 6 supports and are available to all members of joint Team Charleston. Points of contact are listed for each event, as well as websites to make an informed decision on which to volunteer for.
- The 12th Annual Race for the ARK: The ARK provides support services for families and individuals living with Alzheimer's or related dementia diagnosis through respite care, support groups, caregiver consultations and Lunch and Learn Educational series. The 12th Race for The ARK (5K Run/Walk) helps support this important work. Volunteers are needed Aug. 27 at 7:45 a.m. to help set-up booths, food, registrations and cheer on runners and walkers along the race route. To volunteer, contact Peg Lahmeyer at 832-2357 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
To get more info on The ARK or the race go to www.thearkofsc.org
- Sea Island Habitat for Humanity 16th Annual Golf Benefit: Volunteers are needed Sept. 14 from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. to assist with registration and distribute box lunches. To volunteer, contact Anne Myers at 768-0998 or send an email to email@example.com.
- Lowcountry Orphan Relief Make a Child Happy Day: 75 volunteers are needed to help with the Fall Carnival for children in group or foster homes. Volunteers help set up the games and booths, eat lunch with the children, assist with activities (jump castles, video games, pony rides, hayrides, apple dunking, dunking booths, crafts, etc.), then clean up. Volunteers must be 21 and must complete a background check. The event is Oct. 8 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. To volunteer, contact Cathy Keagy at 747-4099 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Home Works of America 2011 Charleston October Blitz: Dozens of volunteers will gather in Charleston to repair three to five homes of the elderly and disabled, Oct. 15. Repairs will include roof repair, ramp construction, painting, carpentry, cleaning and more. No prior skills are required. Visit www.homeworksofamerica.org
for more information and to sign up for the session. You can also contact Hank Cardos at 803-781-4536 or send an email to email@example.com.
- Rein and Shine Annual Barn Raiser: The Barn Raiser supports the work of Rein and Shine an organization that provides therapeutic lessons to those unable to afford their services. Volunteers are needed Oct. 22 from 4 to 8 p.m. to help with ticket sales, parking, silent and live auction, food, music, pony rides, jump castles and much more. To volunteer, contact Mackie Moore at 843-849-0964 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
. You can also find more information at www.reinandshine.org.