JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. –
(This article has been localized with Joint Base Charleston specific information. The original Air Force News article can be found at http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123285749
Air Force officials announced 4,500 additional positions for elimination as a continuation of its FY12 Civilian Workforce Restructure Jan 11.
This reduction builds on the realignments announced in November, including the elimination of 9,000 positions and the addition of 5,900 positions against the Air Force's top priorities. In addition, these reductions respond to the Secretary of Defense's direction to target civilian funding at fiscal year 2010 levels.
"We value our talented and experienced workforce and are trying to do everything possible to manage these reductions with as little impact to our people as possible," said Michael Donley, Secretary of the Air Force.
In an effort to encourage voluntary separations and retirements, the Air Force is currently offering its second round of voluntary separation incentive pay and voluntary early retirement authority programs. Civilian employees received VERA/VSIP eligibility surveys from their personnel managers earlier this month and the applications are due no later than Feb. 3. Approved applications will result in separations or retirements that take effect by April 30.
Air Force officials are still evaluating the need for a Reduction in Force.
"At this time, we are surveying the workforce for a second round of VERA/VSIP and are in the midst of management reassignments resulting from the first round of the restructure," said Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, Director of Manpower, Organization, and Resources. "Once we exhaust all voluntary force management measures, a determination will be made whether or not a RIF is necessary. We hope to have more information in the spring."
During this round of reductions, 17 positions were identified for elimination from Joint Base Charleston. In November of 2011, an additional 147 positions were also identified for elimination at the base as part of the civilian restructure announcement.
"It's important to note that position reductions do not translate directly to people," said Col. Richard McComb, Joint Base Charleston commander. "There are several reasons for this. During the first round of cuts, 97 of the 147 identified positions were vacant. Fifty-five of those vacancies belong to the 628th Security Forces Squadron and were converted to military positions.
"During these more recent cuts, 14 of the 17 identified positions are vacancies that belong to 628 SFS and are also being converted to military positions."
This announcement marks the end of civilian reductions associated with the Air Force's FY12 civilian workforce restructure.
"Our people are and will continue to be our most treasured resource at Joint Base Charleston -- we cannot accomplish our mission without their loyalty and dedication to service. This is why JB Charleston leadership, partnered with the Civilian Personnel and Manpower offices, will continue to work tirelessly to mitigate the impact this has on each individual assigned to this base."
Personnel with questions regarding Civilian Restructuring should contact the local JB Charleston-Air Base Civilian Personnel Office at 963-4500.