JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C., –
Due to a lack of revenue, the theater at Joint Base Charleston-Air Base will be showing its last movie Jan. 27. Beginning Jan. 28 the theater will be closed indefinitely.
Recently, ticket and concession sales have not been covering the operating costs and therefore the theater is not generating revenue to support Morale and Welfare Recreation funds, said Angela Maura, Joint Base Charleston-Air Base Exchange general manager.
"The average attendance for a showing is 25 customers and depending on the movie as low as five people," said Mauras. "We need at least 82 adults in attendance at both Friday and Saturday showing to cover operating costs."
Despite the closure, the movie theater will still be available for official and special functions, said Laura Abell, 628th Force Support Squadron director of marketing. Squadrons will have to coordinate with Outdoor Recreation to use the theater. Outdoor Recreation can be reached at (843) 963-1732.
Some alternatives for the JB Charleston-Air Base movie theater are the JB Charleston-Naval Weapons Station Theater, which offers free movies and multiple theaters off base, of which many offer military discounts.
Charleston Area Theater admission comparison:
· Citadel Mall IMAX & Stadium 16; Citadel Mall-West Ashley; $7.50 for military, includes spouses and dependents. They sell advanced tickets at $6.
· Terrace Theatre; Maybank Highway-James Island. $8 for military.
· Palmetto Grande; Towne Centre-Mt. Pleasant. $8 for military.
· Carmike 8; Folly Road-James Island. No military discount. Adults are $6 Monday through Thursday and $9.50 on Friday and Saturday.
· Cinnebarre; Houston Northcutt-Mt. Pleasant. No military discount. They offer various weekly specials. No one under 18 is allowed without a parent or guardian as alcohol is sold.
· Starlight Cinema; Freshfields Village, Kiawah. Admission is free. This is an outside theater that shows family friendly movies each Wednesday in the summer.
· Charles Town Square; Mall Drive, North Charleston. $7.50 for military
· Cinemark Movies 8; Ladson Road, Summerville. $4.75 for regular. Matinee tickets are $2.75.
· Azalea Square 18; Azalea Square Blvd., Summerville. $7.50 for military
· Hippodrome; Downtown Charleston. No military discount. This is open for private parties only.
(*This listing is provided for information only and no federal endorsement of above mentioned services is intended.)
Re-opening the theater is an option that might be explored once on-base privatized housing is complete and more families move on base, according to Mauras.
"The theater belongs to the base and AAFES is only the custodial when showing movies. So, if there is ever a time you are having a meeting in the theater and you would like us to open the snack stand we can make arrangements," Mauras said.
For more information on the base theater closure, call 843-552-5000.