Joint Base Charleston, S.C. –
It is that time of year again. As members of Team Charleston receive their W-2s and other related tax documents the question on everyone's mind is when will the tax center open? The tax center will open Jan. 25 and remain open until April 17.
Joint Base Charleston's Tax Center is a free service provided to all active duty, dependents, retirees, Department of Defense civilians and activated reservists and activated guard personnel. The centers are located at Bldg. 246, 203 South Davis, JB Charleston - Air Base, and Bldg. 206, 2314 Red Bank Road, Joint Base Charleston - Weapons Station.
These items must be brought to prepare your tax return:
· Proof of identification
· Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
· Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
· Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
· Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
· Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
· A copy of last year's federal and state returns if available
· Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
· Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
· To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. A power of attorney will suffice in cases where one spouse is unavailable.
Beginning Jan. 24, you can call 963-1040 on the Air Base or 764-2002/3 on the Weapons Station to make an appointment.