JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. –
This past year several changes have occurred in school registration and assignment opportunities for families living on Joint Base Charleston - Air Base. The Charleston County School District and the Joint Base Charleston School Liaison office want to ensure newly arriving personnel receive the most accurate information. Below are some helpful tips:
1. Make sure you understand all of your educational options before you sign the lease. Personnel who arrive at JB Charleston - Air Base after each year's December registration deadline have a myriad of choice educational opportunities for their children and they can be confusing. Under the Charleston County School District's "Resolution for Accommodating Military Families," personnel arriving after the December Magnet application deadline may apply directly to the Organizational Advancement Department of CCSD for a placement. Visit the "Military Families" link on the CCSD webpage for application information and a list of available "Choice Schools" as well. Contact the JB Charleston School Liaison officer for a matrix of report card ratings for these successful "choice" school programs.
2. High-school-age residents currently assigned to Wando High School or West Ashley H.S. will not see a change in their assignment or transportation. Children currently attending other high schools under the "No Child Left Behind" option will not see a change in placement as long as they are eligible for the grades offered. Transportation will still be provided by the district.
3. Newly arriving personnel with high school age children should fill out the Application for Military Families. Contact the JB Charleston School Liaison officer at 963-4438 or 714-9110 to process the Military Families application. These applications will be worked individually. If you are registering for Lambs Elementary, Hunley Park Elementary or Zucker Middle School, use the registration centers listed below.
4. Registration Centers: Charleston County is operating a prototype for centralized registration in the north area this year. Registration can be conducted at one of the centers from 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
· Northwoods Middle School: 7763 Northside Drive, North Charleston, 818-1435
· North Charleston High School: 1087 E. Montague Ave, N. Charleston 746-6495
(This information applies to the resident population of JB Charleston - Air Base. There has been no change to the process for personnel living on the Weapons Station. They can continue to register at their local schools, Marrington Elementary, Marrington Middle, and Goose Creek High School.)
For more information, contact the School Liaison office at 963-4438.