JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C., –
Bus routes on Joint Base Charleston - Air Base are being reviewed due to construction and safety concerns. Routes are now available on the school district webpage: www.ccsdschools.com/families/resources.php
. Bell schedules and calendars for Charleston County School District may also be found on this page.
Local Air Base schools will operate as follows:
School Arrival A.M. P.M.
Lambs Elementary 7:10 7:30 2:30
Hunley Park Elementary 7:10 7:30 2:30
Zucker Middle School 8:50 9:10 4:10
Stall High School 8:05 8:25 3:25
Charleston County School District is continuing to work with JB Charleston to provide access to quality educational programs for our children. To clear up any misconceptions, and to help those living on base, the following information is provided for JB Charleston - Air Base for residents with children in school. Be sure to check transportation availability before making any changes to school assignments.
· Lambs Elementary is identified as a local priority school for this year. As such, you are eligible to request a transfer, or to have your child receive free tutoring services during the year. Transfer requests are due no later than 5 p.m., Aug. 17, to the Department of Federal Programs, CCSD, 75 Calhoun Street, Charleston, S.C., 29401.
· Current residents with children attending Hunley Park may continue to attend Hunley Park Elementary regardless of their location in JB Charleston - Air Base housing.
· All new residents to the housing community may elect to have their elementary school age children attend either Lambs or Hunley Park Elementary.
· There is currently no district transportation provided from the housing area to Hunley Park Elementary. The number of students on the installation requiring such transportation is being evaluated.
· Families with high school age children currently attending Wando or West Ashley High School under the "No Child Left Behind Act" will not see any changes in their assignments.
· Stall High School is a local priority school this year. You are eligible to request a transfer and tutoring services following the same format as listed above for Lambs Elementary. Stall will have a bus route on the installation.
· JB Charleston - Air Base residents arriving after December 2011, have extended application deadlines for "choice" schools in the district. Contact the School Liaison Office for more information, or look under the "Military Families" link on the CCSD Web page for the application.
Other Important Notes
· Foot Traffic: Student's, traveling to Lambs Elementary on bike or by foot will cross at W. Jackson and Hill Blvd. The crossing guard can assist with additional directions. The route is clear and has sidewalks to the school property entrance. Please be careful and watch out for children.
· School bus transportation on the air base will be challenging this year. With construction underway and an increased number of buses, everyone needs to be vigilant and patient as the bus company works with us to provide the best transportation options. Durham School Services recently toured housing with Forest City and defined current stops as the best options to ensure the safety of our children. As conditions change, keep Forest City and Durham informed. The School Liaison Officer may also be contacted.
· Garret Academy and Military Magnet are county-wide magnet schools that only have one stop. They are "Parent Assisted Stops" not "Walk To" stops, and may be located up to five miles from an student's home.
· There are new routes, and more than 10 buses on the installation this year.
Berkeley County Schools - Weapons Station (843) 899-8600
and find the "Parent Information" link. This page provides all of the calendars and schedules you will need to begin the year.
Office of Transportation
Bus routes have individual supervisors you may contact for information. Visit http://berkeley.k12.sc.us/departments.cfm?subpage=91773 for more information.
Local Weapons Station schools will operate as follows
School A.M. P.M.
Goose Creek High School 8:35 3:45
Marrington Middle School 8:00 2:50
Marrington Elementary School 7:40 2:10
Dorchester District 2 Schools
Visit their newly designed Web pages at http://www.dorchester2.k12.sc.us/
for information. The "Parent Link" provides policy guidance as well as a brand new "Facts and Fees Online Portal."
Office of Transportation - (843) 873-6196
Bus information can be found under the "District Operations" link.
First Day Festival
Charleston County Schools is celebrating the 10th anniversary of this important event which is organized by the Mayor's Office for Children, Youth and Families. The festival is part of the "First Day" initiative which encourages parents to take their children to school on the first day. The year's festival will be held Aug. 19 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Liberty Square near the S.C. Aquarium and Charleston Maritime Center.
Community partners will be providing school supplies as well as helpful information for parents. The event is free to the public.