JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. –
With tax season right around the corner, there are two tax centers in our Joint Base Charleston neighborhood, staffed by volunteers who are prepared to help you file your taxes on time.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Centers will open Jan. 28, 2013, at both, the Air Base and Weapons Station. The VITA center for the Air Base will be located in Salon A in the Charleston Club and in Building 206, Room 123A at the Weapons Station.
According to Tech. Sgt. Jesse Hentzell, 628th Air Base Wing Judge Advocate office military justice noncommissioned officer in charge, both the Air Base and Weapons Station VITA Centers currently are not able to support walk-in appointments.
"It is very important that each individual brings the proper paperwork to their appointment," said Hentzell.
Items that must be brought to an appointment:
· Personal Identification Cards
· Social Security Cards for all personnel to be claimed on tax return; or ITIN's, if applicable
· Bank routing and account numbers
· Organized receipts that are applicable to your return (business, work related expenses, charitable, medical)
· All W-2 statements
· All applicable 1099s - INT, DIV, MISC, R, G, SSA, etc.
· 1098-T (Tuition statement - if you were a student in 2012 you may need one. Usually arrives in March)
· Last year's federal and/or state return(s), if applicable
· Any documentation related to inflow and outflow of income
Those looking to file their own taxes can try the following web sites below:
Military One Source
To schedule an appointment with the Air Base Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Center, call 963-1040 or 963-8297. To make an appointment at the Weapons Station, call 764-2002 or 764-2003.