An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

News Search
NEWS | April 18, 2013

Educating yourself on education enrollment

By Airman 1st Class Tom Brading Joint Base Charleston Public Affairs

Moving to a new base brings many challenges, but the one on most parents minds is enrolling their children into a new school system. To ease the stress, educating yourself on school enrollment can make the process as easy as one ... two ... three.

"Families should bring an unofficial copy of their children's school records when they register at their new school," said Christopher Gerry, Joint Base Charleston School Liaison officer. "Parents or guardians will then sign release paperwork allowing their child's official records to be sent to the new school."

Having the unofficial transcript on hand when enrolling helps ensure proper placement of the child in the event official records are delayed.


Children who will be 5-years old on or before Sept. 1 must register for kindergarten. Children who will be 4-years old on or before Sept. 1 may be eligible for pre-school, but strict guidelines apply. Contact the school in your attendance zone for requirements, available slots and eligibility to attend.

Documentation needed for enrollment:

· Student's birth certificate
· Proof of residence, normally two sources such as a water or electric bill, cable bill, mortgage or rental agreement.
· Completed S.C. Immunization Form (DHEC 1148), provided by a physician (30 days allowed for completion)
· Student's Social Security card
· School records from previous school, if available
· Special Education records (IEP/504), if applicable
· Proof of guardianship, if applicable
· Latest report card, if possible

For additional information on documentation, contact the school you plan to attend or the local district office.


The requirements on immunizations vary from state to state. However, the 628th Medical Group clinic is able to assist with proper immunizations required for South Carolina. Call 963-6714 for the Medical Group at JB Charleston - Air Base, or 794-6000 for the Naval Health Clinic at JB Charleston - Weapons Station. They will complete DHEC Form 1148 (required for enrollment in the South Carolina school system.)

South Carolina High School Diploma

The requirements for the South Carolina Department of Education for diploma can be found at:

Special Education

Parents with special needs children may contact the South Carolina Office of Exceptional Children at 1-866-628-0910 or visit Addition assistance is available through the JB Charleston Exceptional Family Member Program Coordinator and the School Liaison Officer. They can be reached at 963-4406.

Home School

For information on homeschooling in South Carolina, visit the homeschooling section of the South Carolina State Department of Education webpage, and contact the School Liaison Officer.

Additional options parents might be interested in include the South Carolina Public Charter School District, private schools, virtual schools, and adult education.
Information on charter schools can be found by visiting If you're interested in enrolling your child into a private school, the greater Charleston area provides a great number, and the Tri-County Admissions Council provides more insight for schools in the area. The Base Education Center can provide more information on adult education.