Frequently Asked Questions
Collapse All Expand All

How can I submit articles, story ideas, or press releases for publication?

You can e-mail your information to the Joint Base Charleston Public Affairs staff at Requests should be made with advanced notice. Each submission requires approximately four duty days to complete the review process. Submitting articles does not guarantee publication. Call 963-8232 or 963-5608 to confirm receipt.


Have a complaint or issue about the base? Call us directly at 843-963-5581.

I have a friend or family member in the military, how can I locate that individual?

Call the Air Force World Wide Locator at (210) 565-2660 or written requests can be sent to:

         Air Force Worldwide Locator

         550C Street West, Suite 5

         Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4752


Click here for more information:

I have an environmental concern about Joint Base Charleston, who do I contact?

All written inquiries and telephone calls concerning the environmental performance of JB Charleston are directed to the Public Affairs office at (843) 963-5608.

Joint Base Charleston is committed to protect the environment. The fundamental goals for environmental protection are described in the following environmental policy, which expresses our commitment to maintain compliance, reduce pollution and to continuously improve our environmental stewardship.

Click here to view Joint Base Charleston's Environmental Policy Statement.

Click here to view information on JB Charleston's Environmental Management System.

Click here to view JB Charleston's Environmental Policy Letter. 

Click here for the Air Installation Compatible Use Zone Study.

(Current as of August 2019)

Where can I find information concerning the FOIA?

Welcome to the Freedom of Information Act website. This Act establishes a policy that records of the Air Force are accessible to the people unless protected by certain exemptions. The Air Force conducts its activities in an open manner and provides the public with accurate and timely information.

The Freedom of Information Act program establishes statutory rights of access to government information. DoDR 5400.7 explains policies and outlines procedures on disclosure of records, establishes mandatory time limits, and explains how the public may get copies of Air Force records, it also lists specific policies on withholding records that are exempt from release to the public. Air Force disclosure policy: As long as the requester gives a reasonably accurate description of the "record" sought, the Air Force will disclose the "record", UNLESS IT IS EXEMPT BY LAW AND REGULATION.

To request records pertaining to the Charleston Air Force Base, submit a FOIA request by mail, e-mail, or in person at the following address:



103 North Graves Ave

Joint Base Charleston, SC 29404

COM: (843) 963-3273

FAX: (843) 963-3288


The request must be in writing. No telephone requests will be accepted. If you do not know the exact title of the document you are seeking, you should provide a reasonable description of the documents. The more information that you can provide about the document, the more expeditiously your request will be processed.

In your request include an address and voice phone number in which to reach you if we have questions. Also, state a willingness to pay accessible fees.

We have posted documents on our web page that we receive many requests for. Some of these records may have portions deleted in accordance with the FOIA's nine statutory exemptions. A consolidated list of such records is on DoD Resource Locator. Requests for records from other government agencies (DOJ, FBI, OSI, etc.) must be requested from those agencies.

United States Air Force Freedom of Information Act - Air Force FOIA Handbook

FOIA requesters who have questions concerning the processing of their request with the Charleston AFB FOIA Office should call (843) 963-3273. If dissatisfied with the response from the center, you may contact the FOIA Public Liaison, HQ AMC FOIA Office at (618) 229-5710 or e-mail or the FOIA Public Liaison, HQ AF FOIA Office at (703) 588-6102 or email

How do I get in contact with the American Red Cross?

                   The American Red Cross Services for the Military and their Families, click here.

Call 877-272-7337 to send a verified emergency message to the Command, or to get connected with local resources 24/7/365.

What do we do in case of a Hurricane Evacuation?





There are two separate marquee systems at Joint Base Charleston -- one for the Weapons Station and one for the Air Base. In order to request a message to be published, click HERE for the form to fill out.

I am a member of the media, so how do I contact someone at the base?

Please contact Charleston Air Force Base Public Affairs Office at (843) 963-5608 and ask to speak to the Media Operations section. Or you can send an email request to

What if I wish to file a noise complaint against an Air Force aircraft?

Please contact the Joint Base Charleston Public Affairs Community Engagement section at (843) 963-5535, or the Main Public Affairs Office at (843)963-5608. You can also send an email to

How do I request photo or video support?

To request photo or video support, please complete the AF IMT 833 

and email it to the 628 ABW/PA Organizational e-mail account

For questions about what services are provided, please contact Public Affairs at DSN: 673-5608

I lost my ID card--what am I supposed to do now?

         Please call (843) 963-8929 for questions concerning ID cards.

How do I go about renewing my military ID card?

         Make appointments online!

         The RAPIDS appointment scheduler is the go-to internet site for all Charleston area CAC/ID/DEERS service including two sites on the Air Force Base, and three sites on the Weapons               Station. The web site also contains directions if needed.

         Customers are highly encouraged to take advantage of this web-based tool. Appointments take priority over walk-ins, meaning significantly less wait time!

         Online appointment web site:

         After scheduling your appointment, please ensure the following:

    -Bring all required documents:
    -Arrive early to allow time for checking in.
    -Don't be late or you will lose your appointment priority and have to reschedule or wait in line.
    -To cancel or reschedule, visit:

101 E. Hill Blvd., Bldg 503
Suite 112
(843) 963-4521
Monday & Wednesday
Tuesday & Thursday - Friday

How do I request DoD Aerial Support?


Log on to the DoD aerial support web site. The site is located at: All requests should be submitted through the site. If the requestor does not have internet access, they need to complete a hard copy of the DD 2535 and mail to SAF/PA (address on back of form).

Where can I find Space A Travel Information?

AMC Passenger Terminal is open from 0500 to 2300 hours daily.

Phone (843) 963-3083/3048 DSN 673-3083/3048 Fax (843) 963-2396 DSN 673-2396

e-mail all questions concerning Space A Travel to:

Click here for rules, regulations and locations for Space A travel.

Parking is located across from the terminal and is limited to a 72 hour stay.  Long term parking is available 2 blocks from the terminal at the Security Forces bldg.  All long term parking passes must acquire a point of contact and have the pass issued displayed in the dash of the unattended vehicle.

Enterprise Car rental is available on base.  (843) 207-7333.  Other Rental cars and taxi services are available off base within 5 miles.  There are several taxi services that can come onto base to pick you up at the terminal.  They are listed below.  Express Cab #59 (843) 830-7673 Express Cab #14 (843) 209-6987 Metro Airport Limo (843) 729-2231

How can I get someone from Joint Base Charleston to come speak at a function?

Please contact Joint Base Charleston Public Affairs Community Engagement section at (843) 963-5535, or the Main Public Affairs Office at (843)963-5608.

How can I support the troops?

There are a number of ways in which you can support the troops - e-mail greetings, donations to service relief agencies, or volunteering in your local community.

A list of organizations with troop support programs is available on the Our Military web site.

Click here for information on how to join others in support for the troops.

Due to restrictions, space aboard military aircraft for shipment of humanitarian assistance is reserved through the Denton Program.

Please do not collect candy, cookies, or personal items without prior DoD approval.

Who can I contact for more information on voting?

One of the greatest rights we all possess is the right to vote. It is a right that every service member fights to defend. Sometimes, however, service members are unable to take advantage of this privilege because they do not know or understand the necessary requirements. The purpose of the Installation Voting Assistance Office (IVAO) is to provide  service members, their families and retirees with all possible help in registering to vote and answering other voting-related questions.

For local questions about voting registration, please contact the Installation Voting Assistance Office at located in Bldg 500; call (843) 963-8683/(843) 963-4406 or email:

Air Force Personnel Voting Information:

Questions about voting?  Uniformed Service Members, their families, and citizens living outside the United States can find answers at:  WWW.FVAP.GOV 




Contact Joint Base Charleston

To call the base operator from the continental United States:

843-963-1110 or DSN: 673-1110


To call the base operator from overseas:

DSN: 312-673-1110