JOINT BASE CHARLESTON, S.C. –
With tax season right around the corner, volunteers at Joint Base Charleston are prepared to help clients file their taxes on time. Tax centers at the Air Base and Weapons Station will open Jan. 31, and will operate from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Extended hours at the Weapons Station may be provided at a later date.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Centers will be located in Salon A in the Charleston Club at the Air Base, and in building 206, Room 123A (DEERS and ID cards office) at the Weapons Station.
VITA volunteers are trained to accomplish basic, military and intermediate tax returns. As a general rule, advanced returns will not be provided; however, depending upon volunteer capability and certification level, some advanced returns may be provided. Examples of advanced returns include, but are not limited to, stocks, capital gains and losses, business income, other gains and losses, IRA deductions, and foreign income. Active-duty military members with moving expenses and those who own rental property are also eligible for the VITA program.
Tax returns at both the Air Base and Weapons Station will be prepared by appointment only. The VITA Center is unable to assist clients on a walk-in basis. Additionally, the tax center will not have the capability of making copies; therefore, clients must bring the original and one copy of the following items with them to their appointment:
· Military, retiree, dependent ID card to verify eligibility (copy not required)
· Social Security cards for all personnel to be claimed on tax return; or ITIN's, if applicable
· Bank routing and account numbers
· Organized receipts that are applicable to your return (business, work related expenses, charitable, medical)
· All W-2 statements
· All applicable 1099s
· 1098-T (Tuition statement - if you were a student in 2013 you may need one. Usually arrives in March)
· Last year's federal and/or state return(s), if applicable
· Any documentation related to inflow and outflow of income
Those with advanced tax returns or those looking to file their own taxes can try the following web sites below:
Military One Source
Clients may begin scheduling appointments Jan. 30, 2014. To schedule an appointment at the Air Base, call 963-1040 or 963-8297. To schedule an appointment at the Weapons Station, call 794-2002 or 794-2003.