An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

News Search
NEWS | April 22, 2014

Stash your trash properly

By 628th Civil Engineer Squadron Installation Management Flight

There is an illegal dumping problem developing on Joint Base Charleston.

Some people on base are using the central recycling drop-off points to dump bulk items such as mattresses, furniture, electronic equipment, carpet, appliances, used oil, etc. These actions violate South Carolina laws and regulations as well as base directives.

In an effort to prevent this from happening in the future, JB Charleston would like to make its members more aware of what they can do with items like this.

If you live in military housing and need to dispose of an unserviceable large item, just place the item on the curb on Tuesdays or Thursdays on the Air Base and Fridays for the Weapons Station. The refuse collection contractor will pick these items on these designated days.

If your item is in good condition, you can donate it to the Airman's Attic at building 500 on the Air Base. The Airman's Attic accepts furniture, appliances and other household items for eligible Airmen. For more information on donating to the Airman's Attic, call 963-4408.
The Consignment Shop on the Air Base and the Castaway Thrift Store on the Weapons Station also accept furniture and other items; they can be contacted at 963-3294 and 794-7136 respectively.

Corrugated cardboard can be recycled at one of the base drop-off points (Theater parking lot or the corner of Arthur Dr. and Stewart Ave.) The County will not pick-up any cardboard from the ground, so make sure it is in the proper receptacle.

There's also no excuse for members who live off base. Drop your unwanted material off at your local county's municipal solid waste facilities. For more information look at your county website:

Dorchester County:
Charleston County:
Berkeley County:

If you have any questions, call Alan Moyer at the Installation Management Flight at 963-1456.