News Search
NEWS | Sept. 6, 2011

Learn what GI Bill education benefit is best for you

By United States Department of Veteran's Affairs

From the Many veterans and active duty personnel can qualify for more than one education benefits program, including:

- Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33)
- Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB, chapter 30 and chapter 1606)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP, chapter 1607)
- Post Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance program (VEAP, chapter 32).

Depending on your individual circumstances, one of these programs may give you better benefits than the others. While you are the only person who can choose which program meets your needs, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has developed a step-by-step process that may help you compare the different education programs and decide which is best for you at This process includes links to additional information on the website that may help you make your decision.

Service-connected disability

If you are an active duty service member anticipating at least a 20 percent service-connected disability rating or a veteran with a 20 percent disability rating or greater, you should first determine any benefits to which you are entitled under Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E, chapter 31)

If you need any help making your choice, VA Vocational and Employment counseling help is available to all veterans toll free at 1-800-827-1000. You also can discuss your options with a VA education benefits specialist by calling toll-free 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or TDD at (800) 829-4833.