NEWS | May 8, 2013

National NMCRS fund drive extended

By Petty Officer 1st Class Chad Hallford Joint Base Charleston Public Affairs

Sailors and Marines onboard Joint Base Charleston ─ Weapons Station have contributed more than $100,000 to the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society 2013 fund drive as of the original fund drive end date of April 30, 2013.

The National NMCRS fund drive, started March 1 and has been extended through May 15 to accommodate last-minute donations. With approximately 98 percent of the local contributions received and accounted for, these donations directly benefit active-duty Sailors, Marines, family members and retirees.

"I feel confident in commending the many NMCRS fund drive keyworkers throughout the JB Charleston ─ Weapons Station tenant commands," said David Hastings, NMCRS Charleston director. "These keyworkers have performed exemplary in contacting our local Sailors and Marines, encouraging maximum participation to the benefit of this year's drive."

Last year, the National drive raised $9.9 million to aid Sailors and Marines while the Charleston NMCRS distributed nearly $300,000 in grants, low-interest loans and other assistance to local beneficiaries for fiscal year 2012.

"The NMCRS is the venue for Sailors and Marines to take care of our own," said Navy Lt. William Sever, Naval Support Activity Charleston administrative officer and lead-keyworker for the 2013 fund drive. "Fellow shipmates, if you haven't taken advantage of one of the many opportunities to donate, please do. One never knows when a financial crisis will emerge, and your donation will truly help."

For more information about the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, including an online method for donating, visit www.nmcrsfunddrive.org. Other means of donating for this year include spot donations at any Navy Exchange or speaking to your command NMCRS fund drive keyworker.