Colonel Patrick Winstead is the Vice Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina. The 437th Airlift Wing deploys Airmen and aircraft worldwide in support of contingency operations that involve the airland and airdrop delivery of forces, equipment, and supplies. These missions support combat operations, Joint Chiefs of Staff-directed special operations missions, and U.S.-sponsored humanitarian relief efforts.
Colonel Winstead is a 1996 graduate of North Carolina State University and earned his commission through NC State’s Air Force ROTC program. He completed undergraduate pilot training at Vance AFB, OK in 1998. A Command Pilot with over 3,700 flying hours, Colonel Winstead has served as a C-17A instructor and evaluator pilot, wing combat operations and tactics officer, SOLL II Left Seat Pilot, operations group stan/eval branch chief, wing executive officer and squadron director of operations. He commanded the 535th Airlift Squadron at Hickam Field, Hawaii and also served as the Deputy Commander, 15th Operations Group, 15th Wing, Hickam Field, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. Colonel Winstead then served on the HQ US Pacific Command J3 staff as Chief, Special Technical Operations (STO), Executive Assistant to the Director for Operations (J3) and Chief, Operational Concepts, Research and Application Division.
Prior to his current position, Colonel Winstead was an Air Force Fellow studying at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center (APARC), Stanford University, California.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, N.C.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Multidisciplinary Studies, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, N.C.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Montgomery, Ala.
2004 Master’s Degree in Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2009 Graduate, Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
1. July 1996 - Apr 1997, Assistant to the Commander, AFROTC Det 595, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, N.C.
2. Apr 1997 - May 1998, Student, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
3. May 1998 - Aug 1998, Student, C-17 Initial Qualification Training, Altus AFB, Okla.
4. Aug 1998 - June 2002, Pilot & Instructor Aircraft Commander, Pilot Scheduler, Training Officer, 14th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
5. June 2002 - June 2003, Air Force Intern, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. June 2003 - Feb 2007, Evaluator Aircraft Commander, Readiness Flight Commander, Wing Command Post Deputy Chief & Assistant Operations Officer, 16th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
7. Feb 2007 - June 2010, Evaluator Aircraft Commander, 3rd Operations Group Airlift Standards & Evaluations Branch Chief, and 3rd Wing Executive Officer, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
8. June 2010 - May 2011, Director of Operations, 535th Airlift Squadron, Hickam Field, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
9. May 2011 - Mar 2013, Commander, 535th Airlift Squadron, Hickam Field, JB Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
10. Mar 2013 - July 2013, Deputy Commander, 15th Operations Group, Hickam Field, JB Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
11. July 2013 - July 2016, Chief of Special Technical Operations (J39), J3 Executive Assistant and Chief, Operational Concepts, Research and Application Division (J38), HQ US Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
12. July 2016 - June 2017, Air Force Fellow, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
13. June 2017 - Present, Vice Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, JB Charleston, S.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2013 - July 2016, Chief of Special Technical Operations (J39), J3 Executive Assistant and Chief, Operational Concepts, Research and Application Division (J38), HQ US Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, HI
(Current as of July 2017)
Flight hours: More than 3700
Operational aircraft qualifications: C-17A
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-1, C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Distinguished Flying Cross
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster