Official photo of Mr. Charles Beam, 628th Air Base Wing Executive Director. (Photo by TSgt Renae Pittman)
Charles E. "Ched" Beam is the Executive Director, 628th Air Base Wing, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina. As the Executive Director, he is responsible for the management/oversight for the 628th Air Base Wing Commander's staff of 16 offices and 135 personnel. These staff functions include Safety, Business Office, Protocol, Public Affairs, Plans, Equal Employment Opportunity and the Commander's Support Staff.
Mr. Beam was born and raised in Lincolnton, NC and earned his commission from The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina, as a Distinguished ROTC Graduate in 1989. His active duty military assignments included command for two squadrons, the 43rd Operations Support Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, NC, and the 777th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Balad, Iraq, and two assignments on the staff at Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. He was a master navigator with 3,500 hours primarily in the C-130E/H, served on missions supporting Operations Southern Watch, Provide Promise, Provide Comfort, Joint Guard, Allied Force and Iraqi Freedom and received decorations to include the Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service, Air Medal and Aerial Achievement Medal. Ched retired as a Colonel in August 2015 after 26 years of service.
1989 Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, The Citadel, Charleston, SC (AFROTC Distinguished Graduate)
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL (residence)
1999 Master of Science in Civil Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
2001 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence) Air University, Maxwell AFB, AL
2002 Master of Air Mobility, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
2003 Master of Arts degree in National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, RI
2006 Air War College (correspondence), Air University, Maxwell AFB, AL
1. May 1990 - September 1991, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training and Navigator Graduate Flying Program Project Officer, Mather AFB, CA
2. October 1991 - January 1992, C-130E Initial Navigator Qualification Training, Little Rock AFB, AR
3. January 1992 - June 1996, Instructor AWADS Navigator, 40th Airlift Squadron and 41st Airlift Squadron; Wing Long-Range Scheduler and JA/ATT Planner, 23d Operations Support Squadron, Pope AFB, NC.
4. July 1996 - July 2000, Evaluator AWADS Navigator, 37th Airlift Squadron, then Assistant Chief, Standardization and Evaluation Division, 86th Operations Group, Ramstein AB, Germany
5. August 2000 - May 2001, Assistant Operations Officer, 62nd Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, AR
6. June 2001- June 2002, Advanced Study of Air Mobility, Air Mobility Warfare Center, Ft. Dix, NJ
7. July 2002 - June 2003, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, RI
8. July 2003 - June 2006, Chief Mobility and Special Operations Program Integration, Global Mobility Division and later Chief, Program Integration, Plans and Program Directorate, Headquarters US Air Force, Washington, DC
9. July 2006 - May 2008, Director of Operations, 41st Airlift Squadron, and Chief of Wing Safety, 43d Airlift Wing, Pope AFB, NC
10. June 2008 - July 2010, Commander, 43d Operations Support Squadron, Pope AFB, NC
(May - Sep 2008, Commander, 777 Expeditionary Airlift Squadron , Balad AB, Iraq)
11. August 2010 - June 2010, Chief, Training and Exercises Branch, Operational Training Division, Operations Directorate, Headquarters US Air Force, Washington, DC
12. July 2011 - August 2015, Division Chief, LVC (Live, Virtual and Constructive)-Operational Training, Operations Directorate, Headquarters US Air Force, Washington, DC
13. September 2015--PRESENT, Executive Director, 628th Air Base Wing, Joint Base Charleston, SC