Colonel Clinton ZumBrunnen is the Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina. The 437th Airlift Wing deploys Airmen and aircraft worldwide in support of contingency operations that involve the airland and airdrop delivery of forces, equipment, and supplies. These missions support combat operations, Joint Chiefs of Staff-directed special operations missions and United States sponsored humanitarian relief efforts.
Col ZumBrunnen received his commission as a distinguished graduate from the United States Air Force Academy in 1998. Col ZumBrunnen is also a graduate of the Olmsted Scholar program. He studied Hebrew at the Defense Language Institute before attending Tel Aviv University for two years and was the first Olmsted Scholar to earn a degree from an Israeli university in a program taught entirely in Hebrew. He is a command pilot with more than 3,000 flying hours and has served as a flight instructor and evaluator, and held various aircrew flying assignments in the C-17A, KC-10A, T-1A, T-37B, and T-3A. He was the special assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and has commanded at the squadron and group levels.
Prior to his current position, Colonel ZumBrunnen was the Commander of the 305th Operations Group, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 Master of Science, Aeronautics and Astronautics, University of Washington, Seattle
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Defense Language Institute East, Basic Hebrew Course, Arlington Va.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Master of Arts, Middle East History, Tel Aviv University, Israel
2009 Guest Research Fellow, Institute for National Strategic Studies, Tel Aviv, Israel
2011 Foreign Graduate, Galilee Management Institute, Global Implications of Terrorism Course, Nahalal, Israel
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Joint Forces Staff College, Joint Professional Military Education II course, Norfolk, Va.
2016 Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship at Accenture Federal Services, Arlington, Va.
1. May 1998 - September 1999, Graduate Scholar Fellowship for Department of Astronautics, Air Force Institute of Technology student, University of Washington,Seattle
2. October 1999 - October 2000, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
3. November 2000 - October 2004, Instructor Pilot, C-17A, Squadron Executive Officer; Chief of Squadron Special Operations, 17th Airlift Squadron, Charleston AFB,S.C.
4. November 2004 - December 2004, Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB,Ala.
5. January 2004 - June 2006, Evaluator Pilot, C-17A, Operations Flight Commander, Special Capabilities; Wing Executive Officer, 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB,S.C.
6. July 2006 - July 2007, Student, Defense Language Institute East, Arlington,Va.
7. August 2007 - July 2009, Olmsted Scholar, Tel Aviv University,Israel
8. August 2009 - December 2010, Command Post Chief, 62nd Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord,Wash.
9. December 2010 - December 2011, Operations Officer, 62nd Operations Support Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
10. December 2011 - March 2013, Commander, 10th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
11. April 2013 - May 2013, Deputy Commander, 62nd Operations Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
12. June 2013 - June 2015, Special Assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. July 2015 - June 2016, Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellow at Accenture, Arlington, Va.
14. July 2016 - July 2018, Commander, 305th Operations Group, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J.
15. July 2018 - present, Commander, 437th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2013–June 2015, special assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
Rating: command pilot
Hours: more than 3,000
Aircraft flown: T-3A, T-37B, T-1A, C-17A, and KC-10A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Joint Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major September 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2011
Colonel June 1, 2016
(Current as of July 2018)